Wednesday, February 1, 2012

perspective

I was just pondering perspective shift.  It's some crazy hindsight phenomena: looking back things were often better than you thought at the time.  Well, except for hair and fashion.  Those were always way worse than you thought.  Mullets and legwarmers and suspenders, oh my! But seriously, I can't think of any picture from my younger years when I've looked back and didn't think, "Man, I wish I was that skinny again" or something to that effect.  At the time the picture was taken, of course, I was whining about how I really have to lose weight.   The same is true of so many things.  I complained about being tired for years, then had kids. I obviously had no idea what tired meant.  When I was single I complained that I was busy. Yeah, I had no idea where the "busy" scale started, or that I was really barely on the scale. I shot up quickly. 

It's a generalization, I know. Some people have lost lots of weight and look back with satisfaction at their "before" pictures. I know I'm in better shape now than I was years ago (although disappointingly still not much thinner...I don't get that.) My independent kids are now taking care of themselves more which means I'm less busy. Life improves for many in many ways. I'm not saying it all just keeps going downhill (that would be depressing, and I'm not going to drag us down),  but you get what I'm saying.

Back in March I wrote a post about needing a geek, because I had started a blog and was technically challenged.  Since then I've started a business. I had no idea what technically challenged even meant, apparently. Okay, NOW I'm technically challenged.  That was just a practice run. Now I'm dealing with a website and blog and Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest and...oh my, indeed. Meta-tags? Inbound links? SEO? Are you kidding me? I had no idea.  I thought I wanted a geek then.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment